Make a DIY Reed Diffuser for your home and enjoy your favorite fragrances in hard-to-reach places. With just a few ingredients and supplies, you can make a decorative air freshener and the scent possibilities are endless. Here’s how to make a reed diffuser for essential oils.
If you love having your home smell fresh and clean, try a Homemade Reed Diffuser as an alternative to candles and air fresheners. Put one in every room for a whiff of aromatherapy to enjoy all day long!
I used to love potpourri as a child. A beautiful bowl filled with various scented objects was a staple in most guest bathrooms. It was not something we ever had in our home, so I considered it to be a fancy, luxury item.
Once I learned more about artificial fragrances, I realized my mom had made the right choice by skimping on potpourri. Most store-bought potpourri is coated with toxic dyes and a mixture of artificial fragrances. Artificial fragrances can contribute to indoor air pollution and have negative health effects such as asthma and allergies.
So now I skip potpourri, plug-ins, and candles and opt for more natural options to freshen my home. I love using a reed diffuser in the bathroom as both a decorative item and as a way to add fragrance.
How does a Reed Diffuser Work
A reed diffuser emits the aroma of essential oils into the air. It does the same job as an ultrasonic diffuser, just on a smaller scale. The carrier oil and essential oils travel up the raw wood stick to give off a fragrance. You can add more essential oils to intensify the aroma. The sticks need to be replaced once they are entirely saturated. Reed diffusers work best in small spaces.
How to Make a DIY Reed Diffuser
First, find a vase for your reed diffuser. You can use any vase but ideally, choose one with a narrow opening at the top. This will slow the evaporation and help the scent last longer.
- Glass vase with a narrow opening
- ¼ cup of carrier oil such as sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, apricot, or safflower oil
- 5-6 reed sticks per vase
- 25-30 drops essential oil of your choice
- Add carrier oil to the bottom of the vase
- Mix in selected essential oils and swirl to combine
- Add wood sticks and allow them to become fully saturated
- Flip the sticks over in the vase. Replace about once a week or whenever you change the scent
Essential Oils to Add to a Reed Diffuser
You can add any of your favorite diffuser blends to a reed diffuser. These are some of my favorite combinations:
- 10 drops Vanilla + 10 drops Cedarwood + 10 drops Lavender
- 15 drops Eucalyptus + 15 drops Lime
- 10 drops Bergamot + 10 drops Lemon + 10 drops Rosemary
- 10 drops Cinnamon Bark + 10 drops Orange + 10 drops Thieves
- 15 drops Joy + 15 drops Orange
- 15 drops Ylang Ylang + 15 drops Grapefruit
- 15 drops Vanilla + 15 drops Christmas Spirit